Followers

Saturday 18 March 2017

Grebes.

With Matt going away yet again, and me having to get up at some unearthly hour to take him to be airport, I made a bit of a diversion on the way home to visit a small lake that I had been told held a pair of Great-crested Grebes. Although the pair of Grebes had finished their impressive courtship ritual they certainly both looked impressive in their full adult breeding plumage. Whilst there I saw some nest building and lots of preening between diving for fish. Unfortunately in the time I spent there the birds only came relatively close a couple of times, as they spent most of their time in the area where their nest is being built. However, during this time I did manage my best images of this beautiful bird. Whilst there I saw and heard several Chiff Chaff and several Buzzards were also seen, including a pair displaying.



Great-crested Grebe.



Great-crested Grebe looking resplendent.



Great-crested Grebe preening.




3 comments: