Followers

Sunday 22 June 2014

Ruddy Darter

It sounds as though I am cursing, but no!! A walk this morning to see if I could see any more White-letter Hairstreaks meant I walked along a few ditches. No Hairstreaks seen but there were quite a few Common Darter dragonflies taking their first flight. Walking slowly along I was hoping to get pictures of these very wary dragonflies. I eventually managed a couple of shots of these when I spotted what I thought was a more mature Common Darter. However, checking through the binoculars I could see that it had fully black legs which meant it was a Ruddy Darter. On closer inspection there were other features that confirmed the id. It settled in several positions and stayed still for me while I took some photographs.









Ruddy Darter.




Common Darter newly emerged.

No comments:

Post a Comment